6 Questions with Jack Mylchreest

Tuesday 29 August 2023

photo credit: @scottcharltonphotoandvideo 

Last week I sat down with Jack Mylchreest to chat about his upcoming EP, his music inspiration, and being played on Absolute Radio.


1. Hi! Thanks for the interview! Tell us about yourself.
Hi! My name is Jack and I'm a country artist from the north east of England. I've spent the last 5 years honing my craft of writing and performing music, taking a major leap forward just last year when I released my debut EP 'In My Stride'. This EP contained my first single 'Safe With You' which peaked at number 5 in the iTunes country chart and had fantastic reviews from magazines such as The Crack.

My brand new EP 'City Break' is a 4 track concept compliation, telling the story of my recent travels in the post-pandemic world. It's out on all streaming platforms on Friday September 22nd as well as on vinyl and CD which can be purchased from my website.

2. What made you want to get into music?
When I was 6 years old I watched School of Rock for the first time and it completely blew my mind, after the movie finished I turned to my dad and said I wanted to play my guitar. My dad played when he was in his teens and had his old guitar in the loft, it was way too big for me at only 6 years old, so we set about getting me a quarter-sized beginning guitar for Christmas.

3. What was the inspiration behind your EP?
City Break is about travel. I love to visit new places, both with my friends and with my partner Sophie. Following the COVID lockdowns, I was eager to get back into the world, so this release documents some of those recent trips. Ranging from Wales to Amsterdam, from Newcastle to New York, each track in this collection has it's own story to tell. 

4. What has been the highlight of your career so far? 
Hearing 'Safe With You' being played on Absolute Country Radio is something I'll never forget. My favourite host (Baylen Leonard) playing a song I wrote on my favourite station was surreal. 

5. Who was your inspirations music wise?
Mainly country musicans and artists such as Luke Combs, Chris Stapleton, Morgan Wade. But I also love artists like Byran Adams, Tom Petty and The Beatles.

6. And tell us...who is your favourite upcoming musician from the North East?
Ben Harwood, a singer/songwriter from Ashington. He's a very talented young lad who writes some fantastic tunes. He's one to look out for! 


Check out Jack Mylchreest via here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/35VwlhW30HmSI00uwX8ec2

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me

I'm Chloe and I'm the editor of Odd Girl Out. Odd Girl Out focuses on independent artists and creating a space for music to be heard. We want to be able to be the voice for upcoming artists and to share artists you have never heard of!
© Odd Girl Out