8 Questions with Sophie Purvis

Tuesday 20 August 2024

 

For our weekly throwback to the Indie Files we have Sophie Purvis who is a female drummer breaking barriers in the music industry. I sat down with her earlier this year to discuss what got her into wanting to be a drummer and her advice for future female drummers, this is what she said.

1.What made you want to become a drummer?

I think what made me really want to become a drummer and really go for it as a career was when I attended a concert at about 13 years old and watched the drummer the whole time instead of the singer I had bought tickets for. I thought the drummer was the coolest person on stage and had that moment when it clicked that that's what you want to do with your life. Ever since then I just kept chasing that feeling of playing drums on a stage and loving it. 

2.How have you found being in the music industry in the North East?

I think the music industry in the North East is growing and getting bigger and better to where we want it to be. The main word I would use to describe it would be supportive. Every gig I’ve played or went to has always been filled with people that want to hear new music and enjoy themselves whether it be covers in a club or an original gig in a small venue in Newcastle.

3. Have you been treat differently with being a female in the NE music industry?

This is always a tough one to answer as I am always 50/50. I always get assumed I am the singer of a band or been asked if I know what I'm doing or if I know how to set up my kit. It can be frustrating but unfortunately it comes with being a female drummer. I enjoy playing in front of those people who ask them questions to prove them wrong in the hopes they don’t ask the next female musician they see the same questions. 

4.What happens in a day of your life when you have a gig on?

Nothing crazy is the honest answer! I normally just go about my day as normal until I have to pack up the car and head to the venue. After that it's just setting up the kit, sound checking and waiting until you get to start. I always like to make myself a cup of tea to have with me on stage but that is as rock and roll as it gets.

5. How did you feel playing Newcastle City Hall and how did that come about?

Playing the City Hall for Joe Mcelderry was a bit of a dream come true. It is one of those iconic venues where you think about all the artists you’ve seen there and it feels surreal knowing you're playing on the same stage. It came about actually as my Partner Jack Mylchreest was recommended by a friend and then it happened a week later they were looking for a drummer so I filled the spot. After that we had a bit of a Jam session where we played a few songs with Joe and the band and then went from there. It was the most fun I’ve ever had on stage and I look forward to doing more in the future.

6. What do you think the NE music industry lacks?

I wouldn’t say the north east music industry lacks anything but we could definitely build upon what we have. You can never have too many venues that are willing to put local bands on and I think it's up to us to go and support these venues and bands so that the industry stays open. If you want people to come to your gigs you have to go to theirs. 

7.What do you think the NE music industry is good at?

Recently I think there have been some great programmes for younger people to get advice and support from people in the industry which was not around when I was a teenager so I think they’re fantastic. Last year I joined a programme called Making tracks with Lisa Murphy where if you are aged between 16-25 you could get hands-on experience in a real studio and specific advice which was extremely beneficial to me in learning how to record and mix my drums for social media. Anything like that is great for the industry in the future.

8. What would be your advice to those that want to work in the music industry?

Say yes! My biggest piece of advice especially when you are starting out is to say yes to every opportunity. You always come out with more experience and learn something. Most of my gigs have come because I said yes and then networked to lead me to work with more and more people and pretty soon you have a Diary full of exciting work.



Post a Comment

About Me

About Me

I'm Chloe and I'm the editor of Odd Girl Out. Odd Girl Out focuses on independent artists and creating a space for music to be heard. We want to be able to be the voice for upcoming artists and to share artists you have never heard of!
© Odd Girl Out