7 Questions with Maia Beth

Tuesday 6 August 2024

 

Photo Credit: @anna_marguerite
In our second throwback to the Indie Files, meet Maia Beth the woman who is taking over the music industry like storms. She has held a show on BBC Radio 1, hosts multiple different festivals, and did I mention she is also a DJ? This is what she said..

1. What made you want to be a presenter and DJ?
I didn't realise I wanted to be a radio presenter until I was like nineteen! I know lots of people want to do it from being tiny but quite honestly, I didn't even realise it was a job I could do - I'm from a small town in the North East and that lifestyle felt very far away. But I got an apprenticeship with the BBC in Manchester and although the subject (journalism) wasn't for me I realised I loved chatting to people and researching new trends and ideas. Being surrounded by presenters made me start to really believe it was something I could do too. As for being a DJ I think it came from a desire to share music. I love music so much and used to make CD mixtapes for people or send my friends tracks all the time! Learning to DJ (like learning to present) was another way of sharing stuff that excited me with a bigger audience.

2. How did you get into them roles?

After my apprenticeship I worked freelance 80+ hours a week sometimes 7 days a week in whatever creative jobs I could. I said yes to every job as a way of meeting people as I didn't have any connections at all in the industry and had to financially support myself. Alongside this I would do a community radio show once a week and spend my spare time (when I had it!) going to gigs. It's great I was passionate, but I don't think 'grind culture' being normalised in creative industries is healthy. Looking back this is something I wouldn't recommend as there's great schemes like BBC Introducing that allow you to get into music radio without causing burnout.  I think a good way of preventing people doing this in the future is making information about these kinds of courses more accessible. 

3. Have you been treated differently as a female in the industry?

As a radio presenter I think I've faced more issues in terms of my voice/class - however Radio 1 has been great and always supported me being true to myself. But as a DJ I definitely have been treated differently for being a woman. I've had bouncers not let me into clubs I was DJing because they didn't believe I was the DJ. I've had staff tell me I can't go backstage because "I want to get with the DJ" (when the DJ is me) and worst of all I once had a bouncer try and remove me from the backstage area of a festival because he didn't believe my VIP pass - cause I told him I'd got it for being a presenter/DJ. This is not to mention the countless times you'll have men come up and try and 'explain' how to DJ to you. I found this especially difficult when I was first starting out. I knew I wasn't great yet but felt like men could practise and learn on the job whereas I'd be judged if every mix wasn't perfect. There's also things like having to change what I wear to DJ - I've taken to wearing long sleeved or baggy clothes or even turning the booth lights off in some clubs, so I don't have to deal with being sexualised, which is really frustrating at times as even on a practical level you can get really warm dancing under heated lights. A lot of DJing is also about forming connections and I've had to cope with bookers offering me gigs but then asking me on a date first. It feels like an industry that's getting better in terms of representation (female DJs are dominating right now - just look at Peggy Gou, Hannah Laing, Honey Dijon) but has a long way to go. 

4. What does a day in your life entail?

My days are always different which is what I love about my job! I could be in the studio recording a show, listening to music for the next show or playing on a festival stage. There's also admin days like every other job but I don't mind them as my job is always varied and it's lovely working for myself!

5. Do you think working in London is different to the North East?

Frustratingly I think there's more creative jobs in London than in the North East, but that doesn't mean you can't have a creative career in the North East too! It just feels there's a lot more variety, community groups and access schemes aimed at Manchester and London - which can be hard as it means if you're not from there you have to finance rent/travel too and lots of entry jobs are low paid. 
6. What do youthink the North East lacks in the music industry? 

 I don't think the North East lacks in the music industry! I think we have an amazing musical scene and have produced incredible talent recently (Sam Fender, Victor Ray, L Devine, Ben Hemsley). I think what it needs is more support! More funding, grants, A&R, safe venues for grassroots artists to play.7
7. What would be your advice to those that want to be a radio presenter or DJ?

My advice for people wanting to be a presenter/DJ is to start! You aren't going to be perfect at first so do your practising while no ones listening, I did a community radio show for years I think only my parents listened too and the first time I Dj'd like 12 people showed up. But that's how I got better! There's no reason it has to be expensive. There's places you can hire DJ decks for a couple hours if you can't afford your own, you can teach yourself the basics on YouTube. As for presenting if you have a phone you can vox-pop people in the street and practise that way. It's about getting out of your comfort zone and trying it, that's how you find your sound.




Post a Comment

About Me

About Me

I'm Chloe and I'm the editor of Odd Girl Out. Odd Girl Out focuses on independent artists and creating a space for music to be heard. We want to be able to be the voice for upcoming artists and to share artists you have never heard of!
© Odd Girl Out