6 Questions with Sonny Tennet

Monday 10 June 2024

 


Meet Sonny Tennet the singer-songwrtier from South Shields who just recently completed his UK tour and the man who is all over TikTok for his music. I had a chance to interview him last week about his current plans and favourite artists, this is what he said.

1. Hi! Thanks for the interview tell us about yourself.

Hello! Thanks for having me! I'm Sonny Tennet, I'm a singer/songwriter from South Shields although I spend a lot of time in London and Dartford to write music. I've been singing as long as I can remember and released my first song when I was 17! I'm 25 now and feel so lucky to be doing this career. I've just came off of a tour in the UK so I'm on a high of life. It's crazy thinking back to pub gigging in South Shields to where we are now! I'm also a proud ginger nut.

2. What made you want to get into music?

I can't remember my life without music to be completely honest. It's just in me. My dad was in a band when I was younger, my mam loves StevieWonder and old Motown legends, I just remember me and my sister singing at the top of our lungs everyday in the car on the way to school. I learned to play guitar at about 11/12 and started posting little covers on Facebook, then started gigging in pubs, then weddings and then I met my management.

3. What are your plans for the rest of 2024?

I'm releasing my Debut album 'Panorama' this July! And I love it so so much, a lot of the summer is going to be pushing that, now that I am independent. I feel creatively free and ready to write new music from  the heart and with no boundaries. I thin kas soon as the album is out it's all guns glazing for the next one! 

4. What has been the highlight of your career so far?

I'd say the last two tours for sure. My favourite thing to do as an artist is to be in a room with the crowd and put on a show. It's so nice to have that connection with them in real life in a world that's so focused on social media. 

5. Who are your inspirations music wise?

I'd say Bruno Mars is an artist I strive to be like, it feels like there's no barriers with him, he can release up  beat jokey songs and then a piano ballad like, it just works. Vocally I'd say Stevie Wonder, Paolo Nutini, Jasmine Sullivan were huge influences growing up .

6. And finally, tell us who are your favourite upcoming artist and bands?

I went to school with a girl called Courtney Dixon who is sick! Her voice and style is so unique and she's a lovely girl also. 

Check Out Sonny Tennet! https://www.instagram.com/sonnysocials/

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me

I'm Chloe and I'm the editor of Odd Girl Out. Odd Girl Out focuses on independent artists and creating a space for music to be heard. We want to be able to be the voice for upcoming artists and to share artists you have never heard of!
© Odd Girl Out