A day in the life of a Artist Manager

Friday 25 November 2022

photo credit: @nic.coaker

                 Nicola Coaker is the founder of Nrthrn Baby which has a variety of different endeavors from being a record label, blog, a

nd artist manager and co-hosts a music podcast. Nicola has been involved with various panels from BBC Music Introducing

to giving advice in her school with Radio One’s ‘Inspire Me’ tour.


I got up at 4:30am this day to get everything ready. I quickly get out of bed, brush my teeth and get myself ready to basically have to run out of the door because as someone who works in the music industry we are always in a rush. 


I am always somewhere different every day whether that be helping one of my artists at a music video, a recording studio or in constant back-to-back meetings so it can be a lot but really, that is a part of the job which I love. 


At 5:00am I jump into the car to start my 5-hour drive to London, which can be very exhausting, especially waking up early but every day is different and that is why I love working in the music industry and really, being my own boss with owning my own record label. At 5:40am we pick up Merczzz who is one of our artists on the way to London. 


We didn’t arrive into London until 11am, when we quickly got into our hotel and checked in. I only had five minutes to freshen up which working in the busy lifestyle you get use to every day not being the same, so we then quickly jumped into the car to go to the studio with the amazing producer, JB Made it. On the way to the studio, I was taking calls from A&Rs and other industry people - multi-tasking at its finest! 


I honestly love working with artists, especially as a manager. I’ve worked in multiple roles within the industry, but working closely with an artist every day and being such a significant part of their journey is such an amazing feeling. It can definitely be challenging when you’re essentially acting as a parent, counsellor, admin, and all the other roles that come with being a manager but it’s the most rewarding job I’ve ever had. 


We didn’t arrive until the studio in Croydon till 12pm (London traffic for you!), when I got there I had a catch-up with the amazing Finesse Foreva team and Merczz and JB got to work on what ended up being 3 tracks. 


When it got to 5pm the studio session was done until tomorrow, so we all decided it was time to head back to our hotel to give Merczz 5 minutes to just get himself sorted before we all headed back out again. I find that with constantly being on the go you have to sort of be a queen at multitasking otherwise it would be crazy for me even more. 


At 6pm we left the hotel to head onto the tube to our next destination, we were well and truly done with London roads at this point. I arrived at The Barbican in London for a photo shoot with the very talented Rafel V. We got back on the tube at 10pm to our hotel, ready for a very well-deserved night's sleep before our 7am wake-up tomorrow.


Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nrthrnbaby/

Written by: Chloe Gudgin


 

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me

I'm Chloe and I'm the editor of Odd Girl Out. Odd Girl Out focuses on independent artists and creating a space for music to be heard. We want to be able to be the voice for upcoming artists and to share artists you have never heard of!
© Odd Girl Out